Sunday, January 19, 2014

Dinner Dilemma


        Another week is starting with the same question lingering in my mind. What am I going to make dinner tonight? I live with my father after my parent’s divorce and if he was left to make dinner, he would make the same thing every single week. His first choice to make for dinner is a 2 lb. package of meat (usually chicken), brown rice, and whatever vegetables are in the refrigerator. Then he would put this in the cast iron skillet and cover it with a lid and cook it for about an hour. Because I am home, he now counts on me to help making dinner which causes a problem. Neither my father nor I were ever taught to cook and my mother before she left taught me nothing about cooking except not how to cook because what she made was always rock hard and/or burnt. Now that I am left to make dinner I find myself making the same things repeatedly which is frustrating me. My father works extremely hard to support my sisters, friends, and I helping with everything from fixing my shoes to helping to repair vehicles for only a small charge (he has been a mechanic for most of his life but works as a maintenance person). I attempt to make him a good dinner to thank him for all of this hard work and end up making the same thing in a different version. Our meals right now consist of pasta, box meals that I add different vegetables to, canned soup, green bean casserole, sandwiches, salads (with no tomatoes right now), and different versions of potatoes. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions and/or recipes on what else I could make for dinner to thank my father more for all that he does for our family. Some additional information is that I cannot eat any nuts except pistachios, grapefruit, or avocados. I also have to avoid any of the artificial sugars including sorbitol and aspartame.  My father and I don’t have a lot and often will only buy meat (usually chicken) if it is on sale but will be grateful for any recipe and/or dinner suggestions. If anyone has ideas on large meals I would greatly appreciate it my father and I as I have mentioned help others and often help to make dinner for others that are struggling that do not have other friends than us to help.


On a side note, could someone explain what a twice-baked potato is? Someone mentioned this in my college class and I have never heard of such a thing before.

Have a wonderful week everyone! 

3 comments:

  1. Go to allrecipes.com and search for twice baked potato. You will find lots of recipes and pictures of them. You can also put in a list of ingredients and it will show you recipes you might want to try. Slowly you will learn a few recipes you enjoy making and eating. It is very sweet of you to fix dinner for your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Elsie! There are great ideas out there on blogs too. Easy step by step directions. You might think about freezer meals too. You do the prep on a weekend and maybe your dad could pop it in the oven. Happy cooking and weekend to you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you don't have a pinterest account, you should get one! I got one just for great teaching ideas and crockpot recipes. I've found dinners, desserts and great holiday foods!

    ReplyDelete