Tuesday, February 4, 2014

My Adventure to Class

I knew it was going to be a long day when the school I do practicum in the morning canceled class because of the ice and it is the school that never closes for most any weather. So I left out of town early knowing I had a long drive, what I did not expect was the amount of challenge ahead. First, I knew I was sliding when I looked out my side mirror and could see the back end of my vehicle. I then crept my way towards collage which took me over an hour to make it there when it usually only takes me about 50 minutes. I also found that the storm was thick in places and not bad in others. When I first started it was terrible and when I reached the small town in the middle of my drive the fog was so thick I could barely drive and see where I going. Then there was a small clear patch before climbing the large hill towards Ladd Canyon which is famous for being a bad drive. This section of driving was not too bad except for the beginning of the pass which was another thick patch of fog. Once I reached towards my college, the storm was hardly noticeable as it was in the town I started in.  Just before I exited I saw on the other side of the highway many different type, kinds, sizes, years, makes, and models of semi trucks. I was immediately struck by how much we rely on semi trucks for supplies and how much they go through to get these supplies to us. I finally made it to class glad to have made it safely and to be off the slippery road for a while before attempting to make it back home. 

4 comments:

  1. Glad you made it safely, that was some nasty weather we had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you made it safely! Everyone will understand if you can't make it to class because of the roads. Remember safety is number one. On another note, didn't they end up putting heaters under the road at Ladd Canyon or am I completely making this up in my head? Fog is awful to drive in! Another classmate told me semi's were parked all the way to Pendleton too, it is crazy how much we rely on them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate driving on bad roads. When I was younger I always loved snow. Now, I enjoy the excitement for my girls and the crunching sound it makes walking in it, but if I hate driving in snow. Ice and fog are even worse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always am concerned for your travels over to school as well as everyone else who is making a far trip across the area! I am glad that it is a bit adventurous for you though! There's always something new to learn, whether it is good or bad!

    ReplyDelete